Friday, July 26, 2013

Rag Quilt Tutorial

I have completely fallen in love with sewing- with a machine. Its quick and once you get the hang of it, it's easy.  I would gladly recommend the place I took my beginner's sewing class:

https://citycraftonline.worldsecuresystems.com/classes

If you dont know how to sew and dont have anyone to teach you take a class! it was really fun :) anyway, after my class I felt like I was a champion sewer (read sew-er not sewer) and took on a rag quilt. Rag quilts are a great first project. Theyre super easy and it doesnt really matter if you dont get it perfect the first time because it just adds character. This was the youtube video I followed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-LQfYXrG_Q

Its a little lengthy so ive put my own directions below if you want to check that out instead:

Step 1: Picking out a fabric. I went with the advice of the video and used flannel. Its super soft, easy to use/cut, and you dont need any batting/filler. Hobby lobby has a great selection. I would pick out at least 3 different patterns at about a half a yard or a yard a piece depending on how many squares you want and what size. I did 8x8 squares at five across and five down with three different patterns so a yard of fabric of each pattern was perfect. A yard gave me about 20 sqaures- I used 50 squares total so I have extra left for the next one.

Step 2: Cut your squares.


I used a rotary blade- lifesaver. And an 8x8 cardboard piece- not so life saving. The cardboard piece worked great until I started accidentally trimming it and the fabric lol. That's why my blanket is slightly uneven. Next time I'm buying a cheap 8x8 tile from lowes/home depot and using that instead. 

Step 3: Pin your squares together- wrong sides together.

So that your "right" sides are on the outside. 

Step 5: Sew all sides of your squares together. Corner to corner about a half inch from the border-and don't forget to back stitch :) 

Step 6: Sew your sewn squares to each other. I should of gotten a photo of this but I was pretty tired by this point. Anyway, it's simple- just line your two seams together (like a sandwich) and sew them together. Youll create a row of squares- five squares total (or however many you choose)

Step 7: Sew your rows youve created from step 6 together. Youll line up and pin your seems together. A helpful hint was to have your bottom seem facing toward you and the top seem facing away from you (toward the needle) that way you know for sure the seem on the bottom isnt going to get caught up. Step 6-7 took the least amount of time but were the most nerve racking. Remember it's ok if its a little off. Your edges are going to be frayed so it's hard to tell anyway. 

Step 8: This is the longest step. I think it took the same amount of time to get from step 1-7 as it did to complete 8. You will need spring loaded scissors. Or youll be getting carpal tunnel. I used these: 

They arent my favorite but they definitely did a better job than regular scissors would. If you have some extra cash invest in a good pair. You will snip every single seam on this blanket. You have a lot of leeway with it. I did about a quarter inchish ( after a while I stopped caring about being precise) between each snip. The only thing ill say to pay attention to is where your cutting. Just dont cut the seam itself and you're good to go.

Step 10: Youre done!! but wait you need wash it :) I threw mine in the washer on the delicate/handwash cycle with cold water. Then stuck it in the dryer at 20 minute delicate cycle intervals- your blanket will hold up. I only did it in intervals because you dont want to overload your dryer with lint. Youll seriously get a whole new blanket from the lint trap itself. 

Hope you guys enjoyed the tutorial :) If you have any questions feel free to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment